A multidisciplinary online and face-to-face learning experience
This brand-new intensive training programme is highly interactive for both faculty and participants, maximising learning outcomes and expanding participants’ knowledge using the latest training standards. With our perfect blend of online and on-site (face-to-face) education, clinicians currently specialising in the field will be given an ultra-modern learning, networking and developing experience featuring top faculty in the field of chronic pancreatitis.
Application is now closed.
- To develop an up-to-date knowledge base for long-term evidence-based patient management
- To be confident evaluating and managing patients with chronic pancreatitis
- To create a multidisciplinary mindset to chronic pancreatitis
- To understand what’s needed to operate an effective chronic pancreatitis service
- Clinicians (gastroenterologists, endoscopists, surgeons, radiologists) in specialised training with specific interest in chronic pancreatitis
- Age 40 and below (exceptions for main caretakers of a child according to regular UEG policy)
- Interested in both highly interactive online and on-site learning
Djuna Cahen, The Netherlands
Rui Castro, Portugal
Hana Algül, Germany
Irene Esposito, Germany
Markus Lerch, Germany
Ali Aghdassi, Germany
Maria Antonietta Bali, Belgium
Marc Besselink, The Netherlands
Güralp Ceyhan, Turkey
Enrique de Madaria, Spain
Gavin Johnson, United Kingdom
Julia Mayerle, Germany
Mary Elizabeth Philips, United Kingdom
The UEG Masterclass comprises an innovative educational format combining online learning activities with the best features of classroom interaction and live instruction.
The online phase will be spread out over the month of November 2021, with approximately 2 hours of mandatory weekly assignments. This personalised online learning experience will feature a varied mix of live and self-paced materials, including:
- Short instructional weekly videos
- Assigned reading of clinical practice guidelines
- A self-paced online course on chronic pancreatitis by Julia Mayerle and Georg Beyer
- Live interactive webinars:
- Markus Lerch: Aetiology
- Irene Esposito: Pathology
- Hana Algül and Irene Esposito: Basic & Translational Research
The online phase is carefully aligned with the topics and cases being covered on-site to provide an integrated learning experience. Participants will work together in multidisciplinary groups to solve clinical cases presented at the on-site meeting.
The culmination of this blended learning experience will be a 2-day face-to-face event in Vienna, Austria, featuring:
- Multidisciplinary case-based learning
- World-class faculty
- A mix of teaching formats, e.g. case studies, discussion, group work, quizzes, etc.
- Opportunities for networking with a multidisciplinary peer group and faculty
The two days will be structured into sections covering the following topics:
- Diagnostic challenges
- Pain management & duct drainage
- Local complications
- Biliary obstructions
- Pancreatic insufficiency and cancer
- How to set up a chronic pancreatitis service
Participants will work in multidisciplinary teams to solve cases prepared by faculty members in each topic block.
Precise timing is subject to change (all times are in CET)
Thursday, December 2, 2021
09:30 – 10:00
10:00 – 11:00
Welcome & Introduction
led by Djuna Cahen and Rui Castro
11:00 – 12:30
Block 1: Diagnostic challenges
led by Enrique de Madaria and Ali Aghdassi
12:30 – 13:30
13:30 – 14:30
moderated by Maria Antonietta Bali
14:30 – 17:00
Block 2: Pain management & duct drainage
led by Marc Besselink and Julia Mayerle
Friday, December 3, 2021
08:30 – 09:00
Review of day 1 and programme for day 2
led by Djuna Cahen
09:00 – 12:00
Block 3: Local complications (Pseudocysts & Biliary obstructions)
led by Güralp Ceyhan, Julia Mayerle, Ali Aghdassi and Marc Besselink
12:00 – 13:00
13:00 – 13:30
Quiz: Diet & addiction
moderated by Mary Elizabeth Philips and Gavin Johnson
13:30 – 15:20
Block 4: Pancreatic insufficiency & cancer
led by Enrique de Madaria and Mary Elizabeth Philips
15:20 – 15:40
Block 5: How to set up a chronic pancreatitis service?
Interactive exercise moderated by Marc Besselink, Enrique de Madaria and Maria Antonietta Bali
15:40 – 15:50
Wrap-up and take-home messages
15:50 – 16:00
Farewell with coffee
The face-to-face course will be held in Vienna, Austria. The exact venue location will be shared with participants in due time.
While we are eager to return to offering face-to-face educational events, we remain committed to our responsibility to keep attendees and faculty safe. We are closely monitoring the situation in Austria and the impact on travel restrictions. If it is the case that the course must be postponed, you will be informed immediately.
Participation in the Masterclass on Chronic Pancreatitis is by selection only. A maximum of 40 participants will be invited. The following criteria will be taken into account:
- You are a clinician in specialised training with specific interest in chronic pancreatitis (gastroenterologists, endoscopists, surgeons, radiologists)
- One-page CV (max.)
- List of (max) top 5 publications
- Letter of motivation (max. 250 words) answering the following 2 questions:
- What benefit do you expect to gain from this programme?
- Why should UEG select you for this programme?
- Age 40 and below (exceptions for main caretakes of a child according to regular UEG policy)
- Each individual may participate in this Masterclass only once.
To ensure diversity within the course, regional and gender balance, expertise, and specialties of applicants will be taken into consideration.
A group of up to 40 participants will be selected by the Masterclass Faculty in a review process in July 2021. All applicants will be notified shortly after review is completed.
An adequate level of English is essential to be able to follow the content delivered and participate fully in the course.
Applicants must reside in Europe or the Mediterranean area (countries that are bordering the Mediterranean Sea) at the time of application.
Please note that these criteria have no absolute delimitations and no legal weight.
Selected participants will be notified via e-mail. A registration payment of € 220 is required to confirm the registration.
All selected participants are required to attend the Masterclass in its entirety – online and on-site
- Course material
- Lunches and coffee breaks throughout the on-site course
An application has been made to the EACCME® for CME accreditation of this event.
More on accreditation of our educational activities.
Please note that no travel or accommodation reimbursement will be provided. Attendees are responsible for making their own travel arrangements.
- M: +43 699 1997 16 21
- T: +43 1 997 16 39
- M: +43 699 1997 16 16
- T: +43 1 997 16 39